Sunday, 29 January 2012


Lieutenant General O. A. Ihejirika, Chief of Army Staff
Section of the Nigerian Army

The Nigerian army on Saturday killed 11 suspected Boko Haram members during a gun battle at a checkpoint in Maiduguri, Borno State. This was coming just after suspected members of the fundamentalist sect attacked a police station in Mandwari, Kano State, on Friday, killing
one policeman.
Confirming the Maiduguri killings, the Field Operations Officer, Colonel Victor Ebhamelehe, told Reuters that, “Eleven Boko Haram members have been shot dead by the Joint Military Taskforce in Maiduguri today following a shootout with the sect members at a checkpoint in a stop and search operation. One member of the sect who was wounded is receiving treatment at the hospital.”
Also, the Kano Police Commissioner, Ibrahim Idris, affirmed that he lost one of his men during Friday’s gun battle.
“We lost one of our men in the attack in Mandwari, inside the city. He was a corporal and he died on the way to hospital. The gunmen were repelled,” Idris said.
Meanwhile, there was confusion in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital on Saturday when an explosive was found around Owoh Street in Diobu by some members of the public.
The object, according to an eyewitness, had an electronic timer that made it look like a time bomb, which could explode and cause harm.
A Port Harcourt resident, who identified himself as Darlington, told SUNDAY PUNCH that the area was deserted immediately the explosive was found by the roadside around 1.30pm.
Darlington said the police rushed to the spot where the explosive was placed and took it away apparently to ascertain the type of explosive it was and probably detonate or defuse it.
The State Police Commissioner, Mr. Suleiman Abba, who confirmed the incident, described the object as ‘something resembling and explosive.’
“When the police got the information, they acted swiftly by going to the place and took the object away to verify what it was,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment